Saturday, February 27, 2016

Bertie steps up to the plate

Thank you, Jeeves,
- P. G. Wodehouse 

In this Jeeves and Wooster novel chaos, miscommunication, and conflagrations once again harass the hapless characters. The book begins with Bertie's realisation that his calling in life is to be one of the world's great banjolele players. This calling is very clear to him but not to any of his neighbours, friends or Jeeves and soon Bertie is faced with a decision. Either he must cease his aspirations with the banjolele or Jeeves will leave his service. The decision is made and the banjolele comes out on top. Bertie moves to the village of Chuffnell Regis with his new man, the morose Brinkly but Bertie and Jeeves will not be separated for long. The cottage where he will be staying is owned by Bertie's old school friend Chuffy and Chuffy's new valet is Jeeves. Joining the throng at Chuffnell Regis is; Seabury - Chuffy's nephew who is demanding protection money, Sir Rodderick Glossup - the famous nerve doctor who believes that Bertie should be certified, J. Washburn Stoker - the american millionaire who hates Bertie and his daughter Pauline Stoker, who was once engaged to Bertie.

Bertie must ward off a murderous valet, escape kidnap and try to save Chuffy's love life all while being harassed by the ever watchful Police Sergeant Voules who lives next door. 

I love Jeeves and Wooster books because they are cleverly written and they can always brighten my mood. I also love them because of Bertie's character. He is not a clever man, in fact Jeeves himself states that Bertie can be "mentally somewhat negligent" but his other qualities make up for this in spades. In world politics today it seems like those looking for power see strength in rudeness, bullying and intimidation. I will always prefer the Berties of the world who find that the qualities of cheerfulness and resilience are just as compelling.

My rating; 5 Stars

"He sighed slightly. All this talk of my going to shows was distressing him. What he really wanted was to see was me sprinting down Park Lane with the mob after me with dripping knives... The man annoyed me. I hadn't the slightest objection to his spending his time planning massacres for the bourgeoisie, but I was dashed if I could see why he couldn't do it with a bright and cheerful smile."